YEL insurance is part of the entrepreneur's statutory social security and also applies to small entrepreneurs. According to the law, you are liable for YEL when
- you have turned 18,
- you work in your own company or as a light entrepreneur,
- your entrepreneurial activity continues for at least four months and
- the value of your work input is at least 8 575,45 € (2023) annually.
The YEL insurance obligation of a light entrepreneur is fulfilled when your YEL work income (your gross salary) exceeds an average of 715 € (2023) per month for a period of at least four months. The start date of YEL insurance is the day when your gross salary exceeds the limit of 715 euros for the first time. Insurance contributions start accumulating from that day, even if you only take out YEL insurance later. The YEL insurance contributions accumulated from the retroactive period will be paid after taking out the insurance, in connection with the first invoice. So you shouldn't delay taking out the insurance, or when taking out the insurance retroactively, you should at least be prepared for the fact that the first YEL invoice will be higher than the normal installment.
Agreeing on a payment program
If it is not possible to pay YEL payments on time, you can get payment time for your invoices. As a Varma YEL insurance customer, you can request a payment date for your invoices in the following ways:
- In Varma's online service, in the Insurance section, from the Invoices page. The online service opens for you when your insurance application has been processed. In the online service, you can apply for payment time on your own for invoices that meet the conditions for applying for payment time. An invoice that meets the conditions for applying for a payment deadline can be divided into a maximum of three installments, and it is possible to postpone the first due date. Payment installments are set to be due either every month or every two weeks. Remember to apply for a payment time in time, before the due date of the invoice. The payment period is subject to late payment interest (8%).
- By contacting Varma's collection negotiators. In all cases, it is not possible to apply for a payment time through the online service or it is not enough to complete the payments. This can happen, for example, in situations where:
- the online service has not yet been opened for your use
- the invoice has not been sent yet
- the invoice does not meet the conditions for applying for a payment deadline on your own
- YEL insurance is taken out significantly late, for example 6 or 12 months after the actual start time of the insurance obligation
As a Varma YEL insurance customer, the payment program is agreed with Varma's customer service or debt collection negotiators. You should contact Varma's customer service in time. Call the number: 010 192 100
Article is closed for comments.